CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 31, 2008

What is an ALBATROSS?

I have several hobbies. One of my hobbies is flying. Another is boating. My friend, Scott Lehman, got me into flying several years ago. I received my glider pilot's license 2 years ago and have always enjoyed being in the air. That is why when Scott called me yesterday to ask if I would be willing to go fly with him today, I said "of course." He has a friend from Alaska named Jason who came down with a group of people with some Albatrosses. They are enormous planes that can land on the ground or water. COOL...A PLANE THAT IS A BOAT!










They can carry several passengers. This plane had seats for 12, including the pilot.






We took off at about 4pm tonight and headed over to Lake Mead. The beauty of flying above the lake, then going in between the mountains and even below the mountain tops was absolutly thrilling.















Once we got to the lake we did several Touch and Goes. This is landing the plane then immediatly going to full power and taking off again without stopping. We did 4-5 touch and goes on the Echo Bay side of the lake. The water on this side was so smooth, it looked like glass. I wanted to grab a rope and hook it to the wing pontoon and go waterskiing. Scott says that they do it sometimes. I told him to let me know when they do it in the summer and I AM THERE!













The best part about this was the window in the back of the plane was open so we could get the entire thrill of the noise, cold, and the water.


We headed through the Narrows and over the the Callville Bay side to do several more touch and goes.












The water on this side was not so smooth. It made for rougher landings, but still the spray off the water was incredible.












When the sun began to go down, the colors off the rocks, mountains, and lake was breathtaking.














We ended by flying over the Hoover Dam project and back to Boulder City Airport.










What a wonderful experience. One I will never forget. Thanks Scott and Jason.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Do they have barf bags on an Albatross? Because I most likely would need one...

Looks exciting! :)

Brad said...

Looks AWESOME... when are you going to be flying one of those???

Eric and Cindy said...

No barf bags...you just lean your head out the widow and hope it doesn't hit you back in the face.

I will be flying one of these when I am a multi billionaire. The fuel consumption on one of these bad boys is 150 gal/hr. Not quite the hybrid style I am looking to fly.

Jeanna said...

Awesome pictures!