CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 18, 2010

I Hear A Ringing In My Ear!


Last Friday afternoon, Brendan comes up to me and tells me that Kristen has a bell stuck in her ear. SAY WHAT!!!!

Incredulously, I look in her ear and low and behold there was a tiny bell stuck down her ear. Of course this was Friday afternoon when I knew that many doctor's offices would soon be closing which would leave me very limited in where I could go if I couldn't get it out myself, not to mention I didn't exactly want to go to a doctor's office or Urgent Care with 5 children on a Friday afternoon either.
So I thought through my options...I remembered that I have some bent needle nose pliers that I use for jewelry that I thought might work, so I tried them first. Didn't work, only succeeded in pushing it a little farther in, so now along with the ringing it was starting to hurt too.

I thought to myself, "If only I could suck it out somehow." Ding ding, maybe the vacuum would work, since it was so little. Course the end of the nozzle was too big and I only sucked up her earlobes.

During this time I had the other kids running around getting ready and things together in case we had to go to a doctor's office or Urgent Care and have an extended stay there. So I sat on the stairs and just thought for a bit on how in the world I could get it out or even how the doctors, etc would...if only I had something sticky on the end of a little stick, but I didn't want to push it in any farther either. Then a huge light bulb went on over my head! The bell looked like the brass metal ones and I thought, A MAGNET might work. I have the kind that's at the end of an extension that I use for picking up my lids while canning, but I thought the end might be too big...but worth a try right? Course I NEVER know where it is because a certain young man in my house tends to take "cool" things like that and disappear with them. But he always knows where they are...what are the chances...so I called for him, "Brendan, where is that magnetic stick thing that I use when canning" "Oh yeah, I know where it is!", he says as he tears through the house looking...nope not in his desk....running to the garage...returns triumphantly...here's one Mom! Even better than the one I had in my mind it was one of Eric's tools, a screwdriver that extended with a little magnet on the end of a hex like tool. PERFECT!
Laid Kristen's head back on the table and put it down her ear, heard a light click and VOILA it was out! SOOO glad it was metal! Or as Brendan informed me, that it must have had iron or steel in it.
So we cancelled the emergency outing, but we had to go out anyway to take the girls to their dance class.

Everything back to normal.

5 comments:

Wendy G. Atkins said...

omg! haha how did it even get in there?! i'm glad you got it out!

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Go you and that is just crazy.

Eric and Cindy said...

She had it between her fingers, shaking it next to her ear, trying to hear it. Guess it shot out and into her ear. Silly girl.

Karen said...

I can totally relate to that scenario! We've had several "emergency" events like that. One of my first thoughts is always, "I don't want to take my 4 kids into the ER or the doctors office for this!" It is always inconvenient and a pain. Once the dog ate rat poison and I tried SO MANY things before he finally threw it up. I was running all over the house and asking the neighbors for different stuff I could use. I wasn't about to pack up the kids and head to the Vet AND pay for it! (Sorry, I don't love my dog enough!)

It's a good thing we have all our First Aid training from girls camp! I can't tell you how many times I have relied on those skills!

Uila said...

I added a 6-9 year old class on Mondays at 4-4:45pm. Hope your girls can make it!